Thursday, October 2, 2008

Illicit Behavior

East London, South Africa...I arrived here a week from last Tuesday and was surprised at how easy the flight was. My first real impression of the country came form the woman from here that I was sitting next to on the plane. She asked if this was my first visit to South Africa and when I responded that it was she said, “It is a beautiful country, but a dangerous one as well. Be careful.” Not the best thing for my nerves…anyways, when I got to Johannesburg, the adventure started. I’m embarrassed to admit that my first actions in this country were illegal…I had gotten my baggage, found the domestic terminal (or rather, followed a man who enthusiastically took my luggage to the domestic terminal) and was standing in line when they weighed it. I was 12 Kilos over the limit. 395 the girl told me, to which I responded “395??!” Please keep in mind that I had just traveled about 24 hours on various airlines, and who knows what time it was or what time zone I was adjusted to at this point, but I was tired. I remembered that Eric had told me Bianca had to pay over $600 for her luggage, and I was thinking that this 395 number was in dollars, hence the outburst. Things were confusing and I didn’t understand what the girl wanted me to do because she didn’t speak very good English and eventually a man dressed in plain clothes came and said in English I could still hardly understand that he would make it so that I didn’t have to pay the 395 in exchange for a favor.

Nowwww here’s where I should have said no thank you and walked away…I don’t actually remember what I said but it was something along the lines of “I don’t have to pay the 395??” and he said “No, I will take care of it, you just pay me 150” and I said “thank you!” and started pulling out my money and he said “NO no no, not here!” and that’s when I realized that I was being illegal…Well I knew I was being illegal before, but remember I was thinking in dollars here and $395 is a lot of money! I suppose the most accurate way to put it is that is when I actually felt illegal. He handed me a fixed sheet with my extra weight waived, and told me to go through and that he would meet me on the other side. I got in line for check in and while I was waiting it occurred to me that they were probably talking about Rand, the South African currency, not American dollars in which case 395 equaled about $50 and 150 equals about $19. Too late to change my mind though…I checked in and when I walked out of the line the man suddenly appeared walking next to me. When we walked behind a column I quickly handed him a wad of rand and he took is said thank you and walked back the other direction. And that was my big illegal introduction to this country.

2 comments:

Megan said...

oh my goodness, you could make a movie out of this CRAZY story!!! No more illegal actions, do exactly what the authority say to do and dont listen to anyone else....TRUST NO ONE!!!! oh goodness you scare me!

Lauren Palmer said...

So basically you're having the same kind of adventure that I would :)