Friday, October 10, 2008

“I’m going to show you ‘round the hoot.”
“The what?”
“The hoot! Hooooooot…”
“Oh, hoot!” I turn to Amber who still has a confused look on her face. “She said she’s going to show us around the hoot,” I say it with confidence—I can’t let on that I’m so uncool I don’t even know what the hoot is!
“Yeah, the hoot. You know, like Snoop Dog’s hoot.”
Ohhh the hood!
I didn’t realize how much of a barrier language could be in a place where almost everyone speaks English. I also didn’t realize how valuable a knowledge of the life and times of “Snoop Dog” (I haven’t had the heart to tell them he changed his name several times since then…) would have been…

2 comments:

Katie said...

hahahahah. I can just picture you going along with it and then realizing what she's talking about.

Princesska said...

hahaha... oh Snoop Dog...thank goodness for him