Thursday, October 2, 2008

South Africa is great! I have learned so much while I have been here—I really can’t believe it’s only been two weeks! My big accomplishment was finding a place to volunteer for the next three months where I could also do my research. The other two girls have had a hard time finding a place, but I was extremely lucky to be snatched up by a health clinic on my first day looking! I walked in, explained my research project, and within 5 minutes was shown to an office where I could conduct my interviews. It is located on a university campus about 40 minutes from town and I help out with various office tasks and bribe students with chocolate to come chat with me about health. It’s worked out really well so far and I have learned so many interesting/shocking things from my interviews. The girls who work there have been so incredibly sweet to me and even arranged for me to go to a workshop with them this weekend to become certified in HIV/AIDS voluntary counseling and testing, adherence counseling, and ART administration. I don’t think my certificate will mean anything in the states, but it will be interesting all the same and will allow me to help them out at the clinic while I am here.
I am not able to take many pictures because it is a security risk to have my camera out in most places, but here are some pictures to sum up the last couple of weeks:

Actually the pictures are not uploading...sorry guys...I will try again some other time.

5 comments:

Withawhy said...

It's good to hear from you. I love reading your blogs! Those classes will be interesting! I'm glad you found a place to do your research. Keep a good journal.

Megan said...

Doodle im so glad you were able to get that great place to do your reserch! I miss you!!!

Princesska said...

doodle's the best!

Brittany Anne said...

That sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

When will you be returning to the U.S.? I have so many questions for you right now, as I am catching up on your blog! We need a roomie reunion!