Friday, October 17, 2008
A few more random pics...
Yavela, Zaza, Me, Sister. This was taken on Sister's last day at the clinic.. Before taking this one i took one of just her and she looked at it and said over and over "my face is so beautiful...I am so beautiful!" haha it was really cute. We are going to print out a copy of the picture , laminate it (Yavela's suggestion...I guess thats what you do here...) and then call her to come pick it up.
The next two are pictures of Duncan Village that I snapped while on a bus going home. It is part low-income housing and part (mostly) "informal settlements" that is located just outside of town. I don't work there regularly but I do go there every once in a while to volunteer at a daycare center there. The other place I work though, Reestin, looks a lot like this except it is out in the country more so the shacks are mroe spread out.

Zaza, Amber, Me, Zolani, another Sister at the South Africa Oral History Conference. Who is Zolani? A famous man! I was walking through the hallway when he said hello and asked where i was from and then for my number. Now I have been lectured before on not giving out my number to strange men in South Africa (the other time it happened was justified in my opinion because it was in place of telling him my address) so this time i was prepared and when he asked for my number i gave him my email address intsead. While he was entering this information into his phone Zaza, Amber, and Sister came up with the camera squealing and laughing and positioning themselves around us for a picture. "Oh sorry," he said. "They want a picture." Um duh? Why are you apologizing? Someone takes a picture and then they say "Kaena! we have to go back! (we were only there because we had sneaked out of the HIV/AIDS workshop under the pretense that somebody outside urgently needed to talk to me and Amber.) "Oh you know them?" he asked. Again, how slow are you? WHy else would they come take a picture with us? "Yeah i do, sorry we have to go!" He shakes everyone's hands and I'm last and as I'm walking away I say "and what was your name again?" His friend laughs and he seems a little taken aback but tells me and I walk away to the rest of the group who are all still squealing and Amber says "did you know he was famous?" oh no i did not. Apparently he is a famous "praise poet"/national spokesperson. I told my host mom that I met him and she said "oh yes, we usually see him on the T.V."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's so cool! I love your pictures and stories!
Post a Comment