-Zimbabwe has a 94% unemployment rate
-The Sri Lankan government is currently fighting against an ethnic minority group called the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam who want to start an independent state for Tamils on the north and east side of the island. The gov't has currently cornered the opposition into an area about the size of 1 square mile along with 50,000 civilians who are being kept captive by this group and serve as "human shields" for the Tigers. It is being called a man-made humanitarian crisis--the captive people have money, but they just can't get out to get the food, clothes, etc. that they need. Amnesty International estimates that there have been 7,000 civilian deaths since January due to fighting, not to mention deaths due to unsanitary and inhumane living conditions.
-My friend Dave was engaged to a girl who just disappeared one day for no reason he could figure out. She ended up sending him an email eventually saying she never wanted to see or speak to him again, so she isn't dead, but she never explained what happened. Bizarre hey?
-Rigby, ID is supposedly the teen pregnancy capital of the US, and their high school mascot is the Trojans. This information was passed on to me by an Idahoan of a neighboring (rival) town, so I don't know if I believe this but I thought it was a little bit funny nonetheless.
-Fish sauce is made by decomposing fish for seven months
-post-it cubes cost $9.99. I actually knew this before today, but does this seem outrageous to anyone else?
4 comments:
Which Dave are you referring to??? And yes, I knew that post-its were that expensive. Two words... Rip Off! You have a very entertaining job!
I hope the Dave you were referring to was not me. The Sri Lankans in London have really intensified their protests outside of Parliment this week. The police had to close down a major intersection because the protesters sat down in the middle of the road and refused to get up. The situation in SL is terrible, although the protesters in London are all very exciting.
That fish sauce comment is DISGUSTING. I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit...
the rigby thing is true --at least it was a few years ago. that's the high school my mom, uncles, aunt, and cousins went to... and I always thought that trojan thing was hilarious and a wee bit ironic.
Post a Comment